[WikiEN-l] Inclusion... Deletion... and whatnot

wjhonson at aol.com wjhonson at aol.com
Thu Aug 13 22:07:54 UTC 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew Gray <andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk>
To: English Wikipedia <wikien-l at lists.wikimedia.org>
Sent: Thu, Aug 13, 2009 2:59 pm
Subject: Re: [WikiEN-l] Request to Wikipedians for BBC Documentary

It's interesting to note that, on the whole, everyone is an
inclusionist about something, and a deletionist about something else.

There's hardly anyone so big on inclusion that they won't occasionally
say "god, no, please, delete that article on a collapsed band from
1973 which once opened for someone you've heard of"; conversely, the
people who spend a lot of time sending material to AFD as "nn, delete"
will have their little pet hobbies of writing articles on a topic that
you or I might consider insanely overspecific and not worth keeping.>>

For example, I sometimes try to sell vintage audio components.
Do you know how *difficult* it can be to find specification details on
something that's been out-of-production for 25 years or more?
It would be nice if our articles on say Bose speakers or Pioneer
stereos would include a list of EVERY component ever made by the
companies and the weight, dimension and audio specifications of each of
those....

*Runs for cover*

Will Johnson