[WikiEN-l] Civility poll results

FT2 ft2.wiki at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 13:15:11 UTC 2009

I don't think that's an issue, really.

Present process:

   - No article exists, google doesn't show anything, any redlinks are
   redlinked..... and user X or passer-by Y decides to write an article "off
   their own bat".

Proposed process:

   - A draft (but not a mainspace) article exists, google doesn't show
   anything, any redlinks are redlinked..... and userX or passer-by Y decide to
   write an article "off their own bat".

   This time they find another user started a stub but it never went
   anywhere. Now they can start a new article anyway, or they have someone else
   to work with.

Bear in mind a draft space is not intended to be for "all items unless
superb". It's for starters, possible articles not yet ready for mainspace,
etc. It has other advantages:

   - An article with problem statements is mainspaced, then spidered, and
   continues to propagate round the web while at AFD or after CSD.
   - There is less pressure to CSD an article; it won't be ranked for
   promotion nor spidered for harm, so articles under construction can be put
   there a bit longer than elsewhere.
   - If a user is working on an article in userspace (which we recommend a
   lot of the time), then a second user normally won't know about it, so
   collaboration isn't possible. This way all articles under construction have
   amuch better chance of being findable by collaborators, or patrolled by
   would-be improvers.

But overall when you compare "userspace or deletion" to "draft space", then
this actually might work *better* for collaboration.

FT2