[WikiEN-l] Civility poll results

Surreptitiousness surreptitious.wikipedian at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 12 22:04:22 UTC 2009

Emily Monroe wrote:
>> If we want it to be respected, we have to start blocking people if
>> they refer to another user as a "cunt", no matter what the
>> provocation. There has to be a line, and it has to be enforced.
>>

> If we do that, then I think we have to give people blocks for BITEing
> and BAITing. It's the only way it'll work without people pouting,
> somewhat legitimately, "But he/she/xe started it! Life's not fair!"

The correct response to But he/she/xe started it! is and I've ended it,
and to Life's not fair! it is yes, but we know that already, or
possibly, neither is a black cat's bum. But to take your broader point,
yes, we do need to give people blocks for biteing and baiting, and the
correct response when you've been provoked is go mention it at the
Ettiquette board.  It makes it so much easier to work out which party is
disruptive if one party is civil and following dispute resolution and
one party is not.