[WikiEN-l] Civility poll results

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 19:52:25 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 10:09 AM, Carcharoth<carcharothwp at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 5:28 PM, Marc Riddell<michaeldavid86 at comcast.net> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> To be fully productive, to reach its greatest
>> potential and to achieve its stated goals a workplace's culture cannot vary.
>> To work, to create, at their full potential, a person must be able to focus
>> on that: the work. They cannot be constantly looking over their shoulder, or
>> live with the anxiety that an unstable, unpredictable workplace can produce.
>
> I think it is a balance. Have too uniform a culture and the variety of
> our output will suffer, both in terms of those willing to edit here
> (imagine the people who edit Wikipedia trying to get along in a normal
> workplace) and the diversity of the articles. There is also an
> argument that a homogenous workplace would work against 'neutral point
> of view'.

One can have highly non-homogenous workplaces in which respect and
civility are still core values.

There are rough spots - things where colliqualisms in one branch of
English are insults in another, things that are mild grumpy words in
one branch and severe insults in another, etc.

However, one can work past those (with a non-zero-tolerance, but
somewhat adaptive response).

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com