[WikiEN-l] Civility poll results

FT2 ft2.wiki at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 01:12:30 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 1:37 AM, Carcharoth <carcharothwp at googlemail.com>wrote:

> It is also human nature that everyone, at one time or another, feels
> the need to speak frankly and forcefully. If that is met by hurt cries
> of "you are being incivil", that is a detriment to open discourse.
>
> Carcharoth

Indeed.

It's also human nature to want things they don't have, to attack people who
hurt you, and to care about ones own wishes and not the wider circle of
interests. These are indeed human nature, but they don't legitimize certain
actions, and the fact that "I want to be rude or let off steam" may be human
nature doesn't speak to a community's right to say "sorry bud, not here" to
specific actions or specific styles of interaction.

In other words, we accept as a culture that "it's human nature" is
subordinate as a reason to "is it common good" --  mainly in order to permit
different people to coexist peaceably.

FT2