[WikiEN-l] If anyone ever says Wikipedia is too deletionist

Carcharoth carcharothwp at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 4 02:21:01 UTC 2009

On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 8:41 PM, Samuel Klein<meta.sj at gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

> As the number of editors interested in a topic area grows -- something
> that happens as WP includes more and more locally-notable entries, for
> instance -- the capacity to maintain quality in that area grows as
> well.

But still? A local library? I find it useful to look at things in
context with other similar institutions. So, I try and think of famous
libraries. The British Library, the Bodleian Library, the Library of
Congress, and so on.

And then I try and think where my local library fits in on that scale.

And I conclude: no article.

Train station, just possibly.

The big stately house and park that used to be here before it was
built over, yes.

The current local park - probably not.

The local supermarket - certainly not.

The nearby main road - it does have an article already actually.

The old church, yes. The modern one - no.

The local MP, yes. The fishmonger - no.

Carcharoth