[WikiEN-l] Health advice from the web

David Goodman dgoodmanny at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 04:42:55 UTC 2009

That our own foolishness. this is information that essentially
everyone in the world considers basic reference information, that is
available in authoritative form for all the english speaking countries
(slightly different in each), and could easily be adding with
absolutely impeccable official references, but which the medicine
wikiproject refuses to add.

why? people might misinterpret it; we shouldn't tell people how to
treat illnesses, this is the role of physicians, it's different in
different countries, it changes frequently, there are all sort of
special considerations, and so on. (The arguments against each should
be obvious: we tell people everything else about treating the
illnesses, physicians should not hold a monopoly of medical care, we
can easily give the different approved dosages just as we give the
different drug names, everything else relative to medicine changes
also & we update the encyclopedia, everyone understands that there are
exceptions  as with everything else in the world.)    The
professionals  at not just New Scientist but everyone professional
that analyzes our medical information consider it a defect. Not us.
Everyone is out of step but Wikipedia.

There's an unfortunate paternalistic tradition that sites & references
for laypeople don't make it easy to find key toxicity information on
human lethal does for medicines, for fear it might be used by
potential suicides. We uniquely don't give it for the safe use either,
a disgrace to the concept of free information. Classic example of
ownership, in several senses.

Yes, I've discussed it at the wikiproject and made no headway. Maybe
some more general attention will help dislodge the obscurantists.

My profession has been providing biomedical information to anyone who
wants it. Not hiding it. That's why I don't work on this topic in
Wikipedia--to follow the current guideline in this field would be
unethical for a librarian.

David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.