[WikiEN-l] Fwd: [Foundation-l] Board statement regarding biographies of l...

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Wed Apr 22 18:18:16 UTC 2009

In a message dated 4/22/2009 10:52:43 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
arromdee at rahul.net writes:

> If you really doubt that the person themselves is sending you a
> correction,
> then fine.  But that's only good if you really have some reason to doubt
> it's
> them.  Saying "what if it isn't them" and then stretching it to cover all
> situations whether you believe it's them or not is just elevating process
> above people.>>
-----------------------------
Or it's the correct approach.
Not believing random strangers is very good for Wikipedia and children as
well.

If you want to assume that a stranger is what they say they are, then you
will want to spend a lot of time in Craigslist Personals to learn that people
lie quite often when there is little chance they will be "caught".

It is only by enforcing some method that makes people be responsible for
their statements that we achieve a balance between "small lies" and "big
truths".

This isn't a new concept that Wikipedia found.  It's an old concept, that
we need to recognize.

Will Johnson