[WikiEN-l] We've been overtaken.

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 19:31:19 UTC 2009

2009/4/21 Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>:
> 2009/4/21 Ian Woollard <ian.woollard at gmail.com>:

>> So far as I can tell from percentage breakdowns by country in Alexa,
>> the Chinese go to hudong and zh.wikipedia.org equally often- virtually
>> the same number of page hits. However, hudong ranks 112 and
>> wikipedia.org ranks 66 in China, which tells you that a lot of people
>> are reading the other languages more than Chinese.

> I seriously doubt that Alexa rankings at all meaningful for Chinese
> page views. I'm not sure if it is still the case, but I seem to recall
> that at some point the Alexa toolbar was only available in English,
> that would explain why wikipedia.org does better - people that don't
> speak good English are more likely to use the Chinese sites and less
> likely to use the Alexa toolbar.

Alexa is a rough guide only - their userbase (I heard it was ~70,000
somewhere, but don't recall where - I see no number in the Wikipedia
article) is large enough to provide a statistical sample, but has all
sorts of obvious systemic biases in the sampling (IE-only,
English-only, etc).

So we're #7 on Alexa, which indicates we're popular, but not a whole lot more!

(We're #4 on comScore because comScore aggregates different sites from
the same company, but Alexa does it strictly by domain name, e.g.
listing Google and YouTube separately.)

- d.