[WikiEN-l] Jimbo interview

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Sat Apr 4 20:50:52 UTC 2009

On the subject of what comes after wikipedia, or what successful forks there
are.

My experience in this regard with knol is interesting.  Knol allows of course
POV, and OR, the idea being that the best ones will percolate to the top by
getting lots of ratings.  This doesn't exactly seem to be what's occurring.  I
would say that the best ones are percolating to the top by getting lots of
VIEWS which is quite a different thing.

Very few of my knols, even the most read ones, get any sort of editing, even
though they are marked "moderated editing".  Does this mean that most people
would rather just write their own from scratch?  Or does this mean people don't
want to add edits if I'm getting the revenue share? (which is pennies a
month)

Or does it just mean that Knol hasn't yet gotten the critical weight ?

Or maybe my knols are so perfect nobody can think of any edits.

Will Johnson