[WikiEN-l] Talking to Jimmy Wales about discussion

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 17:34:55 UTC 2008

2008/9/24 Charlotte Webb <charlottethewebb at gmail.com>:
> On 9/8/08, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I think BLP is more a moral issue than a legal one, the foundation is
>> pretty well protected legally. The moral issues are less important for
>> a site where it's clearly just random people chatting than a
>> world-famous encyclopaedia that's at the top of Google results for
>> practically everything, so I think things are ok.
>
> Behavior which differs based on audience cannot possibly be a "moral"
> issue either. More of an image/self-consciousness issue, I'd argue.

My comment wasn't about audience, it was about authors. If the authors
are clearly just a bunch of random chatting chatting people aren't
likely to care too much about what they say or take it seriously. If
the authors are Wikipedians that are generally considered (possibly
incorrectly) to be well informed and reliable, people are likely to
care much more and will take it seriously.