[WikiEN-l] Why Google's online encyclopedia will never be as good as Wiki...

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Tue Sep 23 21:20:24 UTC 2008

In a message dated 9/23/2008 6:30:33 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
dgerard at gmail.com writes:

I'm  really not convinced it's a good approach at all to the question:
"what is  useful to the reader?">>

------------------------------
David I agree in general.
I'll make an exception for my utterly fabulous biography of Alice Ghostley
("Esmerelda" on Bewitched, and "Berniece Clifton" on Designing Women).

In general however, many of the biographies on Knol are sub-standard,
ranking far below what Wikipedia has on that same person.  But then when  Wikipedia
was *new*, the vast majority of biographies were also  sub-standard.  Knol
hasn't yet hit a critical mass.  And the critical  mass for Knol, since now, on
one person you can have dozens of  biographies...  what is it?  Does that mean
we need ten times more  Knol editors, just to get one good biography of Obama
?  Or will each of  those new editors try to write their own crappy one?

No I'm not convinced that Knol is going to turn out any better, but it's
certainly *different* !

Will Johnson