[WikiEN-l] Why Google's online encyclopedia will never be as good as Wiki...

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Tue Sep 23 01:47:41 UTC 2008

Farhad has a fatal flaw in his argument (I assume it is a *he*).  His  flaw
is believing that Knol is an encyclopedia and that it is "the next  Wikipedia".
 Neither situation represents what Knol actually is.

Knol is an online magazine -- multiple authors with bylines (credit),
writing mostly individual articles *with some small input* and doing so to  promote
their business or themselves.  That's not the reason d'etre of an
encyclopedia.

The next step for Knol is probably going to be the creation of
sub-communities and cities built *on top of* the content.  Some of us have  already made
baby-steps in that direction with indexes, but what we really need  is
categories and better userfication with projects and portals.

Knol is only a few months old, but already it seems like a much more  Randian
approach to the underlying issue than Wikipedia.  That is, each  artist is
allowed to fully express their art-form in their own way, and the best  art
rises to the top of the heap.  That's the intent, it may not yet be the  fact.  It
may never be.  We'll see.

Will Johnson