[WikiEN-l] Are movie trailers "free enough" for Commons?

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Mon Sep 8 22:08:38 UTC 2008

You are not addressing my point.  I did not say "reject" statute  law.  My
point is that we cannot add interpretations to statute law except  based on case
law.  Many if not most questions about copyright, like this  one, are not
specifically addressed in statute law.  It is rather case law  that is
interpreting what "published" means, what "product" means, what  "derivative" means, and
so on.

So we cannot address the question of whether trailers are the same or a
different product, since this is not addressed directly in statute law, but only
addressed or partially addressed in case law.

In that case, I would lean toward adding no additional interpretations on
our part, and letting the case law determine the situation.

In a message dated 9/8/2008 11:30:23 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,