[WikiEN-l] Fwd: SOS Children Wikipedia Selection 2008/9 BitTorrent link up

Andrew Cates Andrew at soschildren.org
Fri Oct 24 11:01:16 UTC 2008

I have just been sent this. I wasn't subscribed to this particular
list but am not. The reply below is a brief summary.

Hi Guys,

I have left a fairly full reply to this on the WMF blog awaiting
approval from Jay and also it is discussed on the project pages on
Wikipedia, over several years. There is a gap between the wording of
licenses and urban myths circulating about what they say.

Broadly the GFDL demands that authors are "credited" but does not
include anything on how you identify them (unlike the creative
commons licenses). Either this means to comply with GFDL you need to
carry a local copy of the edit history (which provides the only local
way of identifying authors, albeit in a tedious fashion) including all
>10,000 versions of the Global Warming article complete with every
piece of obscene vandalism etc.) or this means you have to credit
authors providing a theoretically possible route to identify them (not
just include them in a long list of possibles). Nothing in between
this is any better than the second option since to
find an author for a piece of text you still have to go to the page
history on Wikipedia. The German DVD which carries an author list copy
locally which may be better for egos (or not, since it does imply the
authors are
responsibly) but is not more compliant than us: to get the author who
wrote xyz is still a long trip through WP page histories. There is no
different in license terms between a link
back and any other way given of directing the reader to the page
histories in Wikipedia. GFDL does not mention "link" (see
Text_of_the_GNU_Free_Documentation_License)

Some of the CC licenses include carrying a local copy of an artists
preferred name (we do this as we carry the image pages). GFDL does not.

We also incidentally do not carry references or sources and leave the
individual to find these at Wikipedia in the same way.

Andrew