[WikiEN-l] SOS Children Wikipedia Selection 2008/9 BitTorrent link up

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Sat Oct 25 22:34:55 UTC 2008

Joe Szilagyi wrote:
> We have an image in the schools encyclopedia with a big bold "this is up for
> deletion" notice, and that image in fact was deleted from Commons for being
> a copyvio violation. Back in AUGUST. So we're distributing copyright
> violations.

Well, _we_ aren't distributing copyright violations, since we deleted
the image and are no longer serving it from Wikipedia servers. SOS
Children is distributing copyright violations, and for that particular
image it's their problem to deal with.

I'm more concerned about the fact that they're not following the GFDL's
terms in anywhere near to a serious manner. That means that they're
violating _my_ copyright, and the copyrights of every other Wikipedian
who's contributed to the articles they're mirroring. From what Andrew
Cates has been posting on the matter (assuming he's acting in an
official capcity of some sort) they don't seem to be grasping the
significance of this. I don't want this to become an adversarial
situation since they're doing a good thing with Wikipedia's material
that I fully support in principle, but how can we convince them that
this really needs to be done? Since they're already making deals with
WikiMedia Foundation for the logo and such, who's the contact we can
talk to on our side?