[WikiEN-l] Slashdot article

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Sat Oct 25 18:28:21 UTC 2008

Philip Sandifer wrote:
> We use
> attribution and verifiability because, in empirical fact, they are
> reasonably similar to truth. But in terms of actual use of Wikipedia
> as a resource, people depend on that isomorphism between accuracy and
> attribution. When that isomorphism breaks down, it poses a genuine
> problem.

A bit stronger than that, really. We use attribution and verifiability
because the point of a Wikipedia article is to summarize external
consensus on an issue, and attribution and verifiability are really the
only ways of determining external consensus. They are often actually
quite dissimilar to "truth", in that often we accurately summarize
mutually contradictory information, such as two different academic
fields' dissimilar takes on a subject, or religious and secular views of
an issue.

More pragmatically, the reader has no particular reason to believe that
a random Wikipedia editor (who could be anyone) has any particular
personal insight into "the truth", so would prefer some sort of pointer
to a more reliable source for potentially contentious statements, rather
than "some guy on Wikipedia has investigated, and determined that all
the sources are in fact wrong".

-Mark