[WikiEN-l] Slashdot article

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Thu Oct 23 00:28:36 UTC 2008

In a message dated 10/22/2008 5:07:48 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
snowspinner at gmail.com writes:

tend to  believe that spreading untrue information, no
matter where it came  from, is an irresponsible and at times immoral
thing to do on a top  ten website.>>

--------------------
And what exactly is "unTrue" about the idea that Britney Spears likes  cheese
?
Really it's quite silly.

Whether Jaron Lanier is a "director" or not is just as silly.  What is  being
"a director" now so offensive as to raise your hackles and call me
irresponsible and immoral for citing sources ?

You as well as anyone can weigh in on the appropriate policy board for
Attribution/Verifiability and change the way we do things.  But really, if  we cite
reliable published sources, we're doing our job.  We don't need to  feel the
great burden of the world for citing things that turn out to be not  accurate.

It's ...done... every... day. And yes by encyclopedias as well as any
newspaper.
EB puts out correction sheets all the time.  We're not in a fishtank  alone
here.