[WikiEN-l] Slashdot article

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Wed Oct 22 22:39:20 UTC 2008

In a message dated 10/22/2008 3:36:14 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
thomas.dalton at gmail.com writes:

However,  most of our articles don't say that. They say "Y [X]", which
isn't the same  thing.>>

Sure, and in those cases where a situation is becoming fraught with
controversy over sourcing, the appropriate thing to do in the case where we have  an
article that says "Y [X]" would be to change it to something like "It's been
reported by X that ""Y"" "

Most things don't reach that level of controversy and so people take
shortcuts, which of course makes the article more readable anyhow, and is  generally
the way writers write.  They only quote things likely to be of  high interest
being extraordinary, bizarre, appropos or curious.

Will Johnson