[WikiEN-l] Andrew Keen continues to be teflon clueless

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Wed Oct 22 19:00:44 UTC 2008

In a message dated 10/22/2008 10:38:58 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
oskarsigvardsson at gmail.com writes:

And  seriously, Knol? It's a cesspool, it's useless. Half the articles
are  promotional, the other halfs are straight copies from wikipedia
(copies  that don't fulfill all the requirements of the GFDL, btw).
Just as a test,  I just tried one search on Knol, to compare articles
with Wikipedia. I  searched "Kentucky". I figured, it has to have an
article on Kentucky. It's  a US state for cryin' out loud. I was wrong.
My search came up  nil.

--Oskar>>>
------------------------------
It seems to me that people using Knol are more likely to write about topics
in which they are somewhere experts or have a fan-level interest.

"Kentucky" just doesn't generate the level of interest that "Bill Gates"
does.  I think there are at least three biographies of him on Knol.

I think our own Kentucky article was built from dozens if not hundreds of
tiny bits.  Some WP articles however are more than 50% the creation of a  single
writer.  As far as the license, I think more writers would take your
suggestion that they add a link to the WP article if the Knol article is truly a
copy.  But even our "partners" fail the license in almost every case.

Will Johnson