[WikiEN-l] Andrew Keen continues to be teflon clueless

Oskar Sigvardsson oskarsigvardsson at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 17:38:25 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 6:36 PM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.internetevolution.com/author.asp?section_id=556&doc_id=166342&
>
> "So how will today's brutal economic climate change the Web 2.0 "free"
> economy? It will result in the rise of online media businesses that
> reward their contributors with cash; it will mean the success of Knol
> over Wikipedia, Mahalo over Google (Nasdaq: GOOG), TheAtlantic.com
> over the HuffingtonPost.com, iTunes over MySpace, Hulu over YouTube
> Inc. , Playboy.com over Voyeurweb.com, TechCrunch over the
> blogosphere, CNN's professional journalism over CNN's iReporter
> citizen-journalism... The hungry and cold unemployed masses aren't
> going to continue giving away their intellectual labor on the Internet
> in the speculative hope that they might get some "back end" revenue.
> "Free" doesn't fill anyone's belly; it doesn't warm anyone up. "
>
> If only the economic downturn would eliminate the market for Andrew Keen.

Honestly, I have a policy of simply not reading people that are this
blatantly stupid. I mean, it's not even funny how little he
understands the internet, and no one with half a brain listens and
believes in what he says. He can bark how much he wants about how
wikipedia sucks, it's not gonna make it any truer, and it's not going
to make anyone use something else.

And seriously, Knol? It's a cesspool, it's useless. Half the articles
are promotional, the other halfs are straight copies from wikipedia
(copies that don't fulfill all the requirements of the GFDL, btw).
Just as a test, I just tried one search on Knol, to compare articles
with Wikipedia. I searched "Kentucky". I figured, it has to have an
article on Kentucky. It's a US state for cryin' out loud. I was wrong.
My search came up nil.

He can crow all he wants. He's wrong, we all know he's wrong, and
every important person on the web knows he's wrong. Let's just not
care.

--Oskar