[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia's role in the Palin selection

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Mon Oct 20 15:51:48 UTC 2008

"Thomas Dalton" wrote

> There
> must be better ways to research politicians (political who's whos,
> looking at actual polls, reading transcripts of their actual speeches,
> reading manifestos, etc.) than looking them up in a general
> encyclopaedia.

Correct. But to avoid the Andrew Keen-ish spin, one should note that "search" and "research" have become rather different animals. "Search" on Wikipedia, as we know, is brilliant if you are trying to compile a list of politicians. You'll get your list and the risk of there not being an article on someone relevant to American national politics as a candidate is low. As we always say, this should only be the first step in your research.

Question - was this paid work?

Charles