[WikiEN-l] Linking Dates

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Fri Oct 17 16:31:53 UTC 2008

geni wrote:
> See for the most part what
> happened in the year of someone's birth is of little interest unless
> the event dirrectly impacted them. You might be able to make a case
> for the years where they did whatever makes the noteable but even then
> a case could be made that you would do better linking to say 1860s in
> engineering.

That's probably true. I'm personally more annoyed that people come by
with bots (or bot-like scripts) and unlink centuries. In most cases
where I actually take the time to write out "[[5th century]]", it's
because the century is relevant as background information.

Actually I'd have fewer problems in general with any of this if it were
humans making case-by-case judgments. It's mostly the drive-by
auto-editing by people who haven't even read the article that I find
annoying and harmful.

-Mark