[WikiEN-l] Linking Dates

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 23:02:37 UTC 2008

2008/10/8 Marc Riddell <michaeldavid86 at comcast.net>:
> Folks,
>
> Would someone help me here? What is the current policy regarding linking
> dates such as Birth and Death in biography articles?

You're as surprised by it as the rest of us :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:DATES#Date_autoformatting

The old "link all dates" is now deprecated, and we're advised to just
write them in a standard form (14 November 2000 or November 14, 2000).
It'll be interesting to see if this helps reduce overlinking

The old system was laudable, but really only worked for a small
minority of readers, usually active editors themselves. For everyone
else, it just got confusing...

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk