[WikiEN-l] Using Wikipedia unlikely to result in collapse of knowledge

geni geniice at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 21:38:42 UTC 2008

2008/10/7 Andrew Gray <shimgray at gmail.com>:
> "People can be misled by incomplete information as well as inaccurate
> information (cf. Frické and Fallis 2004, 240). Even if Wikipedia
> includes only accurate information, if its omissions tend to mislead
> people, it may not be a reliable information source ... Hence,
> important omissions should be flagged as well as inaccuracies."

1) Wikipedia is written to a large extent by the type of nerds who
like complete sets. Thus for example even stations so obscure that
they never actually got built get a mention:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closed_London_Underground_stations#Central_Line_developments

We don't quite get as far as the stations that never actually existed
(the secret BBC one for example) but I'm sure we will in time.

2)The tag for important omissions is {{NPOV}}.

--
geni