[WikiEN-l] BLPs: Wikipedia entry nearly scuppers rugby player's career

Newyorkbrad (Wikipedia) newyorkbrad at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 14:11:46 UTC 2008

There is, or certainly should be, at a minimum, a policy and spirit of "do
no UNNECESSARY or UNJUSTIFIED harm."  And I believe that in fact, there is.
Of course, it's the question of what is unnecessary or unjustified that
raises the most serious ethical quandaries.

We remain the largest collaborative website in the world, which often
produces the top-ranking search result when people look up information on a
given individual.  I will be dismayed if anyone still believes that the
potential harm that our articles may cause to their living subjects by, for
example, invading the privacy of borderline-notable living people,
is something that should receive no attention in making our content
decisions.  It would be intolerable for the project to willfully
harm innocent people by operating in this manner.

Newyorkbrad