[WikiEN-l] [Foundation-l] Trouble in Ireland

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Wed Nov 26 14:59:30 UTC 2008

On 26 Nov 2008, at 14:53, David Gerard wrote:

> Let's assume a reader of Wikipedia isn't going to go through
> megabytes of talk-page arguments and frankly couldn't give a hoot
> about editor conduct issues. They just want to look stuff up.

The name "Ireland" is ambiguous. People looking for it might be
looking for the state. Most probably are. Or people looking for it
might be looking for the island.

  Since the Ireland should point to the disambiguation page, the
correct thing to do is to move that content to Ireland (island) as
proposed here.

> What's in it for the readers?
>
> What's a one-sentence statement of the compelling reason from each
> side, stated from a neutral point of view?

One sentence from Una Smith:

"An ambiguous title such as Ireland should be a disambiguation page,
because it is Ireland that will accumulate incoming links needing
disambiguation and the task of disambiguating them is made vastly more
difficult if Ireland also has "correct" incoming links that refer to
one topic by that name."

Apart from that I have sent some other answers trying to be neutral,
but my posts are being held for moderation.