[WikiEN-l] How's our coverage of medications?

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 10:16:46 UTC 2008

http://in.reuters.com/article/health/idINTRE4AN7BO20081124

"NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Consumers who rely on the user-edited Web
resource Wikipedia for information on medications are putting
themselves at risk of potentially harmful drug interactions and
adverse effects, new research shows.

"Dr. Kevin A. Clauson of Nova Southeastern University in Palm Beach
Gardens, Florida and his colleagues found few factual errors in their
evaluation of Wikipedia entries on 80 drugs. But these entries were
often missing important information, for example the fact that the
anti-inflammatory drug Arthrotec (diclofenac and misoprostol) can
cause pregnant women to miscarry, or that St. John's wort can
interfere with the action of the HIV drug Prezista (darunavir)."

Personally, if I edit a drug article I try to link the official US or
UK (or preferably both) patient information leaflets, and a list of
side-effects and their known frequency (1 in 10, 1 in 100, 1 in 1000,
etc) is highly relevant. Anyone else?

- d.