[WikiEN-l] Worst. Survey. Ever.

Michael Bimmler mbimmler at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 08:23:12 UTC 2008

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 7:51 AM, Andrew Cates <Andrew at soschildren.org> wrote:
>>> Come on, every bank statement of yours will tell you the ISO code of
>>> the currency your account is in, you will probably find it on every
>>> magazine that you read and so on and so on. Please don't tell me that
>>> this is such an academic thing...
>
> This is completely untrue in England too. I have two bank accounts
> with two different large high street banks and have just spent five
> minutes looking at statements from them both. There is definitely no
> ISO code. I have also tried two newspapers, a utility bill, half a
> dozen invoices and I am none the wiser. If I was given an hour to find
> it offline I think I would fail (and I still have no clue what it is).
> I guess Google or Wikipedia would work but I have never heard of an
> ISO code for currency even though I have traveled to 48 countries etc
> etc...

The discussion is getting a bit off-topic...but I just found an old
bus ticket from the UK in my jacket and it said clearly "GBP" on it.
But nevermind, I take it that it is obviously much more common and
usual in Switzerland to read "CHF" than in other countries of the
world to read their own currency in shorthand. We might be a bit
banking obsessed here...

To answer K. Peachey's question: Yes, obviously "currency shorthand"
or whatever would have been better (did the survey really just say
"ISO currency code"? I'm too lazy to check but this would really be a
usability mistake...)

Michael
--
Michael Bimmler