[WikiEN-l] What to do about our writing quality?

Relata Refero refero.relata at gmail.com
Sat May 24 21:21:09 UTC 2008

On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 2:41 AM, <WJhonson at aol.com> wrote:

> In a message dated 5/24/2008 2:00:31 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
> refero.relata at gmail.com writes:
>
> Absolutely not. It is shared - and WP:CITE and WP:V are policy,  not
> WP:MEWRITEPRETTY.>>

> Not... relevant.
>
> Copyeditors are not citing nor verifying.  They are re-writing  *previously
> cited and verified* details for consistency, flow, grammar and  style.
>
> IF the original writers couldn't be bothered to do it properly, that is not
> the burden of the copyeditors to fix.  It's the burden of the writers to
>  come
> back, and *properly* present the source material so it doesn't need to be
> fixed any more.

Sorry, this is getting ridiculous. As several people have said "properly" is
subjective - and as I say above (irrelevant!?) - we don't enjoin people to
write "properly" in the manner you suggest in the first place...

My whole point is "re-writing" is quite capable of changing emphasis,
wording, tone and context in such a manner that WP:V is relevant. These are
familiar issues, for example, to anyone who's ever had to copy-edit
translations.

And above all, we do not want to place the burden on writers to come back
and check every contribution they've made...

RR