[WikiEN-l] What to do about our writing quality?

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Sat May 24 19:34:11 UTC 2008

In a message dated 5/24/2008 12:30:11 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
refero.relata at gmail.com writes:

The  bottomline is that a close paraphrase is
sometimes necessary, and when its  done, it needs to be done with reference
to the source, and should not be  copy-edited without the copy-editor also
reading and assimilating the  source. The latter happens all the time.>>

That restriction would have a chilling effect on copyediting.
We can't expect copy-editors to read every source merely to fix grammatical
errors.
If the original editor could not be bothered to provide good writing that
would not need copyediting, then that is their fault, not the fault of someone
trying to improve the writing later.

Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.