[WikiEN-l] What to do about our writing quality?

SlimVirgin slimvirgin at gmail.com
Fri May 23 18:48:46 UTC 2008

On 5/23/08, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> You can have a neutral article that reads better than many of ours,
>  though. Certainly we don't want to be using all kinds of fancy
>  literary devices - we want to just state the facts, but we can do that
>  without ending up with a sequence of disconnect sentences. A lot of
>  the problems come from the fact that articles are often written one
>  sentence at a time (after the initial creation, at least) - those
>  sentences need to be better integrated.

It's a feature of having lots of people edit that articles tend to
lack flow. There are very few editors who actually read a section of
an article before they edit it. People believe that a factoid is
missing, so they stick it in, regardless of what it does to the
structure of the paragraph. It means that every article needs someone
on hand to be endlessly copyediting it, which is a thankless task,
especially where it's a contentious topic, because then you're accused
of POV pushing if you move their factoid to retain flow.

Sarah