[WikiEN-l] Fwd: Durova's real name

Daniel R. Tobias dan at tobias.name
Fri May 23 12:35:36 UTC 2008

On Thu, 22 May 2008 15:12:12 EDT, WJhonson@{gag,vomit,retch}aol.com
wrote:

> "Durova, in an interview, posted on YouTube, states her own real full   name.
> The identification of Durova, is now strewn widely across the   internet.
> Can we not repeat her own real full name in-Wiki ?"
>
> Now the one mistake I made was that she doesn't actually self-identify as
> both parts.  It is the person who loaded the video who marked it, in it's
> headline, with the two names jointly.

Actually, from what I saw, the interviewer who talked with Durova and
created the video of it introduced her with both her real name and
her username, with her present and cooperating, not looking like she
was "ambush-interviewed" and objected to the whole thing.  I suppose
it could have been cut and dubbed in a misleading manner, but I see
no evidence of it.

Calling somebody by a different name from the one they wish to be
called by can be considered an act of incivility, and might be part
of a larger pattern of such behavior that could be legitimate cause
for sanctions, but if the subject has willingly cooperated in outside
interviews in which this information is disclosed, mentioning it
onwiki is hardly an act of great evil justifying a moral panic
("Outing! Stalking! Harassing! Indef-ban them and call the cops!").

--
== Dan ==