[WikiEN-l] (no subject)

Charlotte Webb charlottethewebb at gmail.com
Tue May 20 14:49:23 UTC 2008

On 5/18/08, Simon Walker <stwalkerster at googlemail.com> wrote:
> It's the same with me - anyone who receives an email from me, including the
> mailing list will know my real name. However, I don't want it being linked
> to me on-wiki.

Although "semi-pseudonymity" is a poorly defined concept and "open
secret" is an oxymoron, most people will try to respect your wishes if
they are aware of them. Of course a "please do not address me by my
real name" request at the top of your talk page would almost certainly
backfire by inspiring various shit-disturbers (who wouldn't otherwise
have known that your real name is easily discoverable) to do exactly
what they believe will upset you.

> While this is a public list, to some extent it's still private, because I doubt
> many people who aren't wikipedians themselves have signed up to this list.

That doesn't mean that they are more trustworthy than, say... the
general public (who can also read every message without having to "log
in" to anything).

> Still, back to the point, I feel that [her] identity should be kept quiet. If
> [she] wants to reveal her identity, then she can do it herself - she is quite
> capable of that. She does not need someone else to publicise it for her.

True but continuing to discuss it will only increase the incidence of
knife-twisting and harassment.

—C.W.