[WikiEN-l] [Foundation-l] Lobby takeover of wikimedia projects, particularly English wikipedia

Chris Hair hairchrm at gmail.com
Tue May 6 04:15:01 UTC 2008

Though I understand your intentions and support them 100%, I don't think
that your suggestion for the foundation to pass a ruling is the right
thing to do. Ignoring the fact that you called it a "takeover" by
lobbies (remember that almost all governments have these, and it is not
considered a takeover by most people), this is what I see wrong with the
proposal.

The problem with your suggestion is that we as a community can't make a
distinction between lobby groups and just groups. Groups can be highly
beneficial, which is why we have Wikiprojects, etc., that people sign up
for and collaborate on. On the other hand, lobbying groups are
considered bad, but only in the sense that they are POV pushers. I would
even go as far as saying that lobbying groups might even be good, if
used and constrained properly, and edited for NPOV.

But where do we draw the line? Editors with good intentions might be
punished, while if you are trying to hide, it is quite easy if only one
edit is controversial out of over one hundred.

The only thing that we can maintain is NPOV. We just have to remember
not to yield to admins if they are pushing their POV, even if there are
many admins on that side, and to resolve dispute cases when they arise.
We can't ban groups, because we would be fighting forever over what
constitutes a lobbying group versus a normal, beneficial group. We can't
do anything about people forming groups, so we just have to play the
game we've always played- NPOV.

- -Hairchrm