[WikiEN-l] [Foundation-l] Lobby takeover of wikimedia projects, particularly English wikipedia

Fred Bauder fredbaud at fairpoint.net
Tue May 6 12:12:43 UTC 2008

> Since we start off with overkill, wouldn't it be easier to appoint admins
> based on resumes, personal interviews and obstacle course performance
> instead? And bureaucrats, having passed basic admin training, are
> selected
> for bureaucrat candidacy school and we take the top 10% of those?
>
> Really, I think you're jumping at shadows. No one can point to even one
> admin account gained through some organized advocacy attempt, nor to any
> significant effects even as a result of this one "discovered" group. The
> point is there is no problem, and until there is... no solution is
> necessary
> - particularly not of the drastic sort. Most of the "organized"
> nationalism
> groups formed on-wiki and stay on-wiki, maybe you should fix that first.
>
> Nathan

There are instances when the thumb has been on the scale, but that
approach is not viable. It is far better to continue to develop as much
sophistication as we can with respect to point of view and try to ensure
opposing points of view are fairly expressed. To take the example of the
CAMERA initiate, we need to ensure that the Palestinian and Arab point of
view is fully and fairly expressed. That is far preferable to adopting a
position of mistrust toward administrators.

Fred