[WikiEN-l] They didn't attach the GFDL!!!

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Sun May 4 19:49:31 UTC 2008

In a message dated 5/4/2008 12:01:29 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
thomas.dalton at gmail.com writes:

I think  it does state 5, but I don't think that clause was written
with wikis in  mind. I have no idea how you're meant to determine the
top 5  authors.>>

----------------------------
Well after having a go-round with some wikipoopians over it, it seems like
you only need to name the principal authors if you alter the text in some way,
and none of our mirrors actually does it anyway, and no one's ever been sued
for  doing it contrariwise.

I.E. a tempest in a teapot used to attack people you don't like instead of
actually fulfilling our mission.

Which is, in my mind, to provide a free encyclopedia, free for anyone to do
anything they want with, and they probably will and do, flauntly any
interpretation of the license whatsoever.  It will be interesting to see  how these
"let's sell pages x1 through x10 of wikipedia to audience y" go.   I'm fairly
confident they won't be naming any of the authors at all.

Hey we're gonna set legal precedent, woo hoo !

Will Johnson

favorites at AOL Food.