No subject

Fri Mar 14 23:02:16 UTC 2008

1. Insert any <meta/> tag from the article content.  (Bad idea for
security reasons.)

2. Make some template-esque tag like {{{noindex}}} that will instruct
the engine to include the following tag in the <head/> element:

Note that nofollow should not be present, because we do want it to
crawl to the linked articles.  We just don't want the category
indexed.

This tag should follow transclusion rules -- then we could just insert
this into whatever template we currently use to mark such categories
(if any).

P.S. Regarding Gregory's response (that came in while writing this)
potential abuse is not really a concern.  We have a block button.  The
trick is coming up with a policy or guideline on usage so people know
what's acceptable and what's not.

Alternately (thinking while I type here, bear with me) we could have a
MediaWiki: page listing pages that we don't want indexed.  Possibly
specifying a template would catch all pages that template is
transcluded to?  Then it could be protected if it became an issue.

--
Chris Howie
http://www.chrishowie.com