[WikiEN-l] Widespread disagreement with Wikipedia:Verifiability

Stephen Bain stephen.bain at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 11:15:28 UTC 2008

On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 10:43 PM, Steve Summit <scs at eskimo.com> wrote:

>  We very strongly want everything in Wikipedia to be verifiable --
>  that's why WP:V is policy.  However, we realize that providing
>  unimpeachable references for every fact in Wikipedia is
>  extraordinarily difficult.  So we don't insist that every fact
>  have an unimpeachable reference this instant.
>
>  Or at least, that's my take on it.  But this question clearly
>  touches on one of the core divides across Wikipedia, namely the
>  eventualism/immediatism dichotomy.

That's right. Eventualism [1] has long been the general way we've
operated, but with the greater focus on quality rather than (solely)
quantity lately, this is being challenged.

I think we're still generally operating on an eventualist basis, but
lately we've seen that there are certain areas - of which BLP is the
clearest - where we switch into an immediatist [2] mode.

--
For those who aren't aware of these already:
[1] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Eventualism

--
Stephen Bain
stephen.bain at gmail.com