[WikiEN-l] Widespread disagreement with Wikipedia:Verifiability

The Mangoe the.mangoe at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 03:22:41 UTC 2008

What is "stronger" begs the question. In one case I dealt with,
someone who lived on the Eastern Shore of Maryland was claimed to have
attended a school in Potomac on the other side of the bay. It's a
three hour plus drive from one to the other, and the school in Potomac
is not a boarding school. However this was reported by a "reputable"
medium, and therefore it became "true", in spite of the fact that it
couldn't possibly be true. I finally had to cite a high school
yearbook to beat this down, because people were willing to prefer a
source even though it could readily be shown to be false.