[WikiEN-l] Widespread disagreement with Wikipedia:Verifiability

Steve Summit scs at eskimo.com
Sat Mar 29 12:43:44 UTC 2008

bobolozo wrote:
> If unreliable sources are acceptable, this means that
> WP:V becomes a mere suggestion, not a policy.

This conclusion does not follow.

We very strongly want everything in Wikipedia to be verifiable --
that's why WP:V is policy.  However, we realize that providing
unimpeachable references for every fact in Wikipedia is
extraordinarily difficult.  So we don't insist that every fact
have an unimpeachable reference this instant.

Or at least, that's my take on it.  But this question clearly
touches on one of the core divides across Wikipedia, namely the
eventualism/immediatism dichotomy.