[WikiEN-l] Unreliable sources, or no sources at all?

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Wed Mar 26 08:35:52 UTC 2008

bobolozo wrote:
> An extreme example of this, but... suppose some
> spammer goes through and adds references to 1000
> articles in random unsourced paragraphs, with the
> source given being
> mortgage-refinance-online-low-prices.biz, totally off
> topic from any of the articles.  We're now not allowed
> to remove this spam without gutting all of these
> articles or spending hundreds of hours digging up sources?

These I do generally remove. A more realistic example: some spammer
operating a travel site goes through and adds their unreliable ad-filled
travel-to-some-island.biz site as a "source" for the article on
some-island. I usually remove these as spam, as the "source" is worse
than not having any, and is in any case spam. Occasionally if it seems
like it actually was the source of the information, I'll leave it
commented out as a note to future editors.

-Mark