[WikiEN-l] Unreliable sources, or no sources at all?

Daniel R. Tobias dan at tobias.name
Wed Mar 26 01:25:38 UTC 2008

Since I'd at least like to think of myself as not one of those
classic trolls who are unwilling to listen to others or admit that
I'm sometimes wrong, I'll admit now to probably overreacting in this
case, and being too quick to find slippery slopes where they might
not really exist.  I still think the other side could have done
better at explaining in a logical way why that particular site needed
to be purged, and to consider that I might possibly also have a point
too, and not just be trolling to be disruptive, even if I might not
have been right this time.

Giving a clear explanation that somebody was insidiously spamming
that link and it needed to be blacklisted would have worked better
with me than the seemingly vague and shifting rationales that people
were actually giving in the debate, about it being an unreliable
source (irrelevant when it came to removing links from discussion
archives), it being a copyvio (maybe true, but the only proof they
were showing was a boilerplate disclaimer in the site about not
having copyright permission, but the identical text is used in many
sites, some of which have valid fair use purpose), and it being spam
(but even non-spammed links to it were being purged).  It seemed like
the explanations were being made up on an ad hoc basis so people
could justify what their friend was doing.

My point, that making exceptions to the normal principle against
editing others' comments in discussion was potentially dangerous, and
was just the mindset that led to stuff like BADSITES, even if
mistaken in this case, was never considered to be in any way a
serious point rather than an irrelevant troll.
--
== Dan ==