[WikiEN-l] Music fans choose Wikipedia over MySpace

Steve Summit scs at eskimo.com
Mon Mar 24 14:01:18 UTC 2008

Alex wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 6:59 PM, Chris Howie <cdhowie at gmail.com> wrote:
>> It also displays ignorance about Wikipedia:
>>	"Anyone can contribute to a given article on Wikipedia, but their
>>	contributions must first be checked by team of volunteer editors with
>>	a particular passion about the subject before the text appears live."
>
> Yeah, I commented, linking to our COI policy, as did [[User:Daniel]].

This was the bit that got me:

	...because of Wikipedia's low profile relative to the
	MySpace hype machine, many artists and their managers
	remain ignorant of the resources available to them.

	"There's been many people I've talked to that didn't even
	know they could upload a Wikipedia page," Mr Lenac said.

Wikipedia may be a resource, but it's not *that* kind of resource!

Fortunately someone else (also from the music industry, no less)
got it right:

	"(Wikipedia is) rooted in fact. It's not promotional.
	Especially these days when the internet is full of
	artists trying to essentially ram their message down
	your throat, I think a fan is a lot more receptive
	to a simple, no-hype approach."