[WikiEN-l] Arbitration Committee

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Sat Mar 22 02:33:09 UTC 2008

Jimmy Wales wrote:
> White Cat wrote:
>
>> Arbcom takes a lot of time to make quick and rash decisions. You hardly see
>> extensive discussions by arbitrators on workshops or proposed decisions
>> anymore
>>

> In my experience, this is not true.  If there are real problems, then
> please bring me a specific detailed case in which the ArbCom really got
> something badly wrong.  There is an appeal mechanism, after all.  And in
> my experience, the ArbCom is eager to correct errors, examine everything
> to see where the evidence leads, etc.
>
> Not all the work is public, and for good reason.  There are frank and
> thoughtful discussions about how to best defuse difficult situations, etc.

I can't speak for what currently goes on on private lists, but I'd
second this, and add that during the time I was on the ArbCom I'd say
the opposite of "quick and rash decisions" was true--- the biggest
problem was that there was so *much* discussion and worry about making
sure all possibilities were considered and nothing got screwed up that
things moved extremely slowly, which also encouraged burnout and
resignations among arbitrators not able to put in dozens of hours per
case on a regular basis. I'm sure there are problems with the setup, but
I don't think "needs to be more meticulous and cautious in its
deliberations" is one of them.

-Mark