[WikiEN-l] Arbitration Committee

Matthew Brown morven at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 19:07:27 UTC 2008

On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 8:57 AM, Matthew Brown <morven at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 8:48 AM, Christiano Moreschi
>  <moreschiwikiman at hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>  >  I take it you object to the fact that "They give a lot of leeway to long term trolls yet they do
>  >  not give a fraction of that to good standing users." Now, I agree, and they should start banning
>  >  long-term trolls. Who, I wonder, would be first up against the wall were that to happen?
>
>  I suspect quite a lot of users would agree that we should take a
>  harder line on some people; however, I'm not sure that there is wide
>  agreement on WHICH people. One person's troll is another person's
>  unfairly maligned good user, I find.

In addition to this - I'm sure that for everyone who thinks we're too
hard on good standing users, there's another who thinks we're too easy
on them.  Witness the repeated arbcom cases on IRC issues in which
established users on both sides of the dispute were given "final
warnings", only to be brought before arbcom again and given final
warnings again, and so forth.

I suspect that White Cat is annoyed about lack of decisive action in
the Episodes and Characters cases; would I be right?  I must note that
the committee is divided on several issues involved here, as is the
community at large; and furthermore, lots of the dispute is about
content, an area we generally try and avoid.

-Matt