[WikiEN-l] [Commons-l] For COA fans: Blazonry Server

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Sat Mar 15 12:04:35 UTC 2008

[copied to wikien-l, as they may find it interesting]

On 15/03/2008, Brianna Laugher <brianna.laugher at gmail.com> wrote:

>  This may be a useful site for people who create coats of arms. I don't
>  know, maybe it is too simplistic?
>
>  <http://web.meson.org/blazonserver/>
>
>  You describe a COA using some restricted terminology (on that page)
>  and then it generates an SVG of it.

Marvellous! I've been wondering why someone doesn't develop one of
these for ages :-)

We have a lot of ambiguity over the rights of coats of arms - a lot of
the time, we claim a modern artistic depiction is public domain
because the underlying "description" is public domain, and that's a
fairly iffy claim. Something like this helps us cut out a lot of the
potential legal iffiness...

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk