[WikiEN-l] LA Times article / Advertising in Wikipedia

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 22:11:59 UTC 2008

On 10/03/2008, John Vandenberg <jayvdb at gmail.com> wrote:

>  If the Wikimedia Foundation ever runs short of cash, I suggest adding
>  unobtrusive text-based advertisements to Wikisource, much like
>  Uncyclopedia. There is no danger of violating the
>  neutral-point-of-view policy because [Wikisource has] none, and links
>  to buy still-copyrighted books by the same author could actually be
>  useful to readers.

On the theme of interesting approaches to the advertising question, a
few people have written to OTRS about it - I rather liked one of them,
and asked if I could pass it on:

"...a model where you only have enough advertising to cover costs, and
that advertising for the day, week, year etc would cease once you had
raised the required amount. Another idea would be to target ads based
on IP addresses, so that those in wealthy countries (who can afford
the extra bandwidth required for the ads) would pay for those in poor
countries to use the encyclopedia." - Dylan [ticket 2008031110019056]

Either of these would be interesting adjuncts to a pure-advertising model.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk