[WikiEN-l] Community Ombuds Department

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 22:57:52 UTC 2008

On 13/03/2008, Wily D <wilydoppelganger at gmail.com> wrote:
> The ArbCom claims to derive it's authority from Jimbo's authority, so
>  such a "route of appeal" remains necessary until ArbCom gets some new
>  mandate.   Presumably, we could (as a community) seperately empower
>  ArbCom (or a similar body), but it's unclear how we can remove Jimbo's
>  vestigial authority apart from asking nicely.

We remove his authority by simply declaring it to be gone. He only has
authority because we accept that he does. If we want to, we can have a
big on wiki discussion and if there's a consensus to remove Jimbo's
powers over arbcom, then that's that. (I suppose there may be a need
to get the "new" ArbCom ratified by the foundation so it can grant
checkuser access etc., but I can't see that being a problem, I'm not
sure if it would even be necessary.)