[WikiEN-l] How to do something about AFD

Ian Woollard ian.woollard at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 18:30:51 UTC 2008

On 12/03/2008, Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:
> The aggressive
> approach is not the way to deal with a newbie with a short edit
> history. Nuking him when he apparently used a sockpuppet (The Russian
> name translates as "Brilliant pearl".) was a hasty move. What would be
> better would be to explain very politely and very respectfully at least
> once that this sort of thing is just not done, as I have in an off-list
> message to him. Drastic measures should only be used if he becomes
> clearly defiant.

Your description of the situation is wildly at variance with reality.
The user involved was running two different identities in an AFD, has
just had his main account suspension upheld after 4 entirely spurious
unblock requests; and had been caught resurrecting a speedied
unverifiable and self-interested article under a different name. He
was also essentially harassing other users, including myself.

> The absence of third-party references alone should not be sufficient for
> deleting an article.

Basically, you're saying anybody with a website can create a wikipedia
article and expect to not get it deleted. That doesn't fly. It's
inconsistent with NPOV VER NOR every core policy, none of them work
without reliable sources.

--
-Ian Woollard
We live in an imperfectly imperfect world. If we lived in a perfectly